February 10, 2015

February Meal Prep

The hardest thing about trying to stay fit while being a new mom is getting time to eat and eat well! I try on my own to put healthy things in the house and tell myself that I'll cook a healthy meal, but with the baby and going back to work and school, I don't even have time to finish a cup of coffee in the morning, let alone pick out and put together a skinny lunch. So that's where meal prepping comes in handy: I take an hour out of my week (usually Monday, when I have little else going on outside of the usual) and prep some food that is easy to throw together and good for my ever-shrinking tummy.

This month, I've been trying to watch my portion sizes and my calories because I have a bad habit of going to town and end up unsatisfied, too full, and on my way to gaining another pound, so I use a calorie counting app (MyPlate by Livestrong) to keep myself accountable. I don't follow it exactly, I allow myself to go over my calorie limit on occasion, but it's making me more conscious of exactly how much I am eating and where I can make good-for-you changes along the way.

So what I've done is basically prepped simple proteins, veggies, and carbs ahead of time that I can either toss in the microwave if I'm in a rush, or throw back on the skillet to mix up if I have a spare moment. This week I chose chicken and sweet potatoes as my main protein and carb, with a mix of veggies to add some options so I don't get bored.

I chopped up one yellow, red, and green pepper and threw them in a bag so I can just grab a handful and throw it into a skillet without having to prep them. Same with three zucchini. Veggies are an awesome way to fill you up without taking in a ton of calories, and we all know they are really good for you.

The chicken and sweet potatoes take a little bit more work, but not much, and then you throw them in the oven, so there is no slaving over a stove for these. For the sweet potatoes, just stab them with a fork all over and throw them straight on the rack, but put a baking sheet with foil underneath for any drippings. Then, I put one chicken breast each on a square of aluminum foil and add a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, then I fold them up individually (tightly) and stick them on a baking dish. I cook all of this together to save time, just make sure you set two timers so you don't forget. The oven is set to 425, cooking the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes (for small ones) and the chicken for 35. You can either take them out and put them directly into storage containers, or do as I do and cut the chicken in half and take the skin off the sweet potatoes and separate them into individual containers (1/2 chicken with 1 sweet potato, just adding veggies for a meal).

I also included what I am trying this week for breakfast. I tend to get a bit more time for breakfast than I used to, and it is the most important meal of the day for me because I load it up with carbs (... I love carbs) to keep me energized throughout the day. I'll be doing a multi grain waffle from Trader Joe's topped with a sliced banana and a drizzle of honey for sweetness. Usually, in place of the waffle, I do some oatmeal because it is super quick, but I'm going to mix it up for once.

I try to keep my meals at a basic 1/4 protein, 1/4 good carbs, 1/2 veggies for lunch and dinner and throw in some 100-150 calorie snacks twice a day, on top of a solid breakfast. It's simple and quick if you take some extra time out once a week to prep- it's a way of not letting yourself have the option to fail, you always have something in reach that is filling and healthy. Plus, adding spices and sauces (smart options, of course) can make any protein/carb/veg option delicious and diverse so get a little creative. The only thing you have to lose is weight!
Share This:    Facebook Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment