I know I can't be the only one to say that the very first thing we worry about as women when we get pregnant is how our bodies are going to look after ten months of stretching out. I couldn't wait to get back into the gym and assumed it would be an easy task, considering I was mildly active pre-pregnancy and I've always enjoyed getting a little sweaty. I completely underestimated how you feel after having a baby! Of course I figured that my lady parts would be sore and that it might take me a day or two to get used to the sudden weight loss (I lost 9 pounds the day I had Atti), but I had no idea that the rest of my body would feel as if I were run over by a Mac truck.
The things that they don't prepare you for are hard to explain until you've felt it. It was as if someone removed every bone and muscle holding the trunk of my body upright, like I literally had a bowl full of jelly for a mid section. My arms, legs, and neck were aching like I was doing supersets all day thanks to the constant bracing and pushing of labor. My pelvis felt like a stack of bricks that nobody bothered to cement together- in fact, my whole body just didn't seem to connect. But how long can that last, like a week right? Wrong. Just walking around the house too much (on top of the extreme exhaustion from sleep deprivation) would make me feel weak and sore all over again, plus it makes the bleeding from birth worse. So I calmed down and finally listened to my body, and sat my ass back on the couch.
The things that they don't prepare you for are hard to explain until you've felt it. It was as if someone removed every bone and muscle holding the trunk of my body upright, like I literally had a bowl full of jelly for a mid section. My arms, legs, and neck were aching like I was doing supersets all day thanks to the constant bracing and pushing of labor. My pelvis felt like a stack of bricks that nobody bothered to cement together- in fact, my whole body just didn't seem to connect. But how long can that last, like a week right? Wrong. Just walking around the house too much (on top of the extreme exhaustion from sleep deprivation) would make me feel weak and sore all over again, plus it makes the bleeding from birth worse. So I calmed down and finally listened to my body, and sat my ass back on the couch.
Jump to two weeks down the road and I am starting to feel a little like my self again, so I decide to give some fitness a shot. I started out with some basic moves that they recommend for you at the hospital and in all of the "What To Expect" books: leg slides, head and shoulder lifts, pelvic tilts, and kegels. I also was feeling extremely stiff and wanted something to relax me a little while also stretching out my sore and stiff muscles so I added a post partum yoga video I found on YouTube (20 Minute Post Natal Yoga). **I would recommend listening hard core to what your body tells you if you decide to add anything to the basic doctor recommendations because you can really hurt yourself if you try to push too hard! I did these three times a week while Atti was napping (which never happened conveniently) for about two weeks. I went back to work at four weeks and then started going to the gym at five, but only because I was feeling almost completely back to normal- few aches and pains on occasion but nothing that wouldn't get better with some activity. Here are my one week and six week progress shots (an in between three week photo is here).
![]() |
| One week post partum: 151 lbs |
![]() |
| Six Weeks Post Partum: 140 lbs |
I took that last photo at the gym since I started doing an easy, yet sweat inducing work out that I got from "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises". I've used this book for years to help me with my workouts, it is a great staple to have for anyone who likes doing more than just cardio at the gym. The specific workout that I'm doing is tailored for those who want to get their body back, whether they are new to the gym or have just been sitting on their butt for too long- it's perfect for a post natal body because it helps to strengthen areas that have been weakened from being idle during that last trimester (or last two in my case) while making sure that you don't overdo it. I'll be doing a bi-monthly check in with pictures, my workouts, and my stats along the way to keep myself accountable.
Six Week Stats
Workout: Weeks 1-4 of the "Get Your Body Back" Workout training 3x per week, Cardio workout 2x per week
Weight: 139.6 lbs
Waist: 30.5 in
Hips: 40 in
Thigh: 22 in
Thigh: 22 in
Bicep: 10.5 in




0 comments:
Post a Comment